Monday, August 18, 2014

James's Birth Story part 1

It was completely unexpected!  Nothing like I planned.  And hurt like you know what!  But I would do it all again for my precious baby.  My mom told me that now my heart has grown legs and is out there, vulnerable to the world.  That is exactly how it is.  I cannot wait for everything, yet it scares me to death.

*This will include everything.  Read at your own expense  :)

On Saturday night, August 9th, we were invited to go to a friends house for dinner.  Just before, Glen asked me if I peed my pants, which was a crazy thing to ask.  But when I looked down, I realized that I was quite wet.  I told him it was nothing and we went to our friends.  While I was there, more fluid was coming out.... This might be my water leaking, I thought.  I talked to my friend, and asked for a pad, but it was getting more and more.  It was definitely time to go home.  This was at 5pm.  We decided to call the hospital and ask what they would recommend.  They said to come in.  I didn't want to go in, because I wanted to stay home as long as possible.  But we were both a little nervous and decided it was best to be checked out anyways.  With luck, we would be able to go home and sleep for the night.

Lol, nope, if my water breaks I'm there for the night.  Should have known.  But it was really fun getting lost in the hospital trying to figure out where to go and check in with my pants soaking wet.  Ha.  When we finally checked in, we decided to walk the halls a little to help the labor progress.  At this point, I was leaking constantly (poor hospital floors), but having NO contractions.  We walked for an hour, then I decided to take a dip in the Jacuzzi.  :)  Nothing was progressing and the doctor wanted me to start pitocin by midnight, so I had a bite to eat, because there's no eating once you go on pitocin, and we started the drip.  Boo, this was not in my birth plan!!

We started just at a level 1 for an hour, then level 2, etc.  I really wanted my body to get a jump into gear and start going on its own.  I never wanted pitocin.  Btw, it took them 4 tries to get an IV into me, I have huge bruises now, and that's when I knew this was going to be a long one.  By 4 am my contractions were starting to hurt pretty bad.  There was certainly no sleeping that night.  Luckily Glen was able to sleep a little.  By 9am I think I got some meds for the pain.  Which made me feel very drunk!!  It was nice at first, but then got really annoying.  And it didn't really make the pain better, it just made me loopy in between contractions.  I think my mom got there around 11, and that's when the pain really began!

Let me tell you, those contractions are horrible!!!!  I could barely breath!  I honestly started passing out in between them.  I would grab glens hand or pull on his shirt, and my mom would try to push on my back.  Nothing made any difference.  I was actually trying to hurt Glen.  :(  I'm sorry.  I was in serious pain!  Maybe I'm a wimp but it was killer!  And the loopy drugs didn't help, they just made it so I couldn't open my eyes or see straight.  I was just in this bad daze.  At 1pm, they said the doctor would be in at 4 to check me.  Btw, this whole time I was at like a 1.5 dialation.  Come on body!  But when I heard that, I almost couldn't take it.  3 more hours!!!  I could see the clock, and it was bad!  He was about 8 minutes late (I was watching) and I begged him to just give me an epidural now, I didn't want to be checked cause that hurts too!  Why do they have to shove it so far in!?  He didn't listen to me though, and checked me anyways.  I was at 3/4 cm!  I could get an epidural now!  Hurray!!!!  Otherwise I would have beat someone down, seriously.  And they better have that epidural for me in 5 minutes.  lol.

A couple minutes later the lady comes in and tries to explain my risks, blah blah blah.  I really don't care!  It takes her FOREVER to get things situated.  And then she pricks me in the back and it tickles and makes me jump.  And she gets mad at me and tells me not to move.  (Don't forget that I am barreling over in pain at the same time)  She needs to put her hand on my back first before she pricks me, how can I not jump when someone does that?  I do my best and feel a little sting in my nerves but it's all good.  And now it's done!  YES!!!   I don't know how long it took to work but within a half hour or so, I was doing better.  But I was still in pain.  I thought that everyone said that once you get the epidural there's no more pain, and it's all great!?  There was still pain, but I could breath through it.  So now we just had to wait.

They didn't want to check me too often because since my water broke there is greater risk for infection.  But we all thought the baby would be out by midnight.  :)  But by 10pm I was only at 6 cm dialated, I believe.  This is also when they mentioned the girl next door to us who came in earlier that day already had her baby.  Grrr!  Needless to say, we were not having a baby by midnight.  They continued upping the pitocin until I reached 18, the max is 20.  And they were starting to get worried because they like for you to have the baby within 24 hour of you water breaking.  We had passed that about 5 hours ago.  Probably about 1 am, I started to get a fever and the babies heart rate was increasing...or dropping, I don't remember which.  But it wasn't good.  My mom was rubbing a wet wash cloth on my face and they gave me some Tylenol.  We decided to get a blessing to help me and the baby be ok.  The next time they came to check on me (which was about every 20 minutes) the fever was gone!  And the baby was doing great!  I felt so blessed.  Blessed to have Glen able to give me a blessing and blessed with the faith that it would all work out.  But I was still worried about needing a C-section.  This was taking far too long.  By this time my water had broken about 32 hours ago.  But I was at an 8.  So it was getting closer.


No comments:

Post a Comment