Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Fitting in

I've been meaning to write this post for a while now.  I guess now is as good of time as any.  This post is mainly about friends and change.  Ever since my husband and I got married and joined the married ward at church, we started noticing that no one really invites people over to watch a game or have dinner or get ready for an event together.  And while some of that is obvious, I mean you're not going to get ready for a dance with a girlfriend when you're married.  But people seem to just mind their own business.  They have their spouse and what else is needed?  I even felt this way when I first got married.  I didn't see the need for having best friends now that I'm married but there is a need.  A very BIG need!  And now I feel like I've been in the same ward for over 2 years and I still don't have really good friends.

But I can't blame anyone, I am in the "full-time working wives without kids" group.  Which means, I get home at 6 or 7, eat dinner, and spend a couple hours with my spouse or doing my own thing before bed. And on the days I do have time to hang out during the week, I am drained from work.  Some days I don't mind at all, some days are friend-lonely.  Weekends are packed up with all the things I don't have time to do over the week.

What I'm saying is that if you don't make an effort to make friends, you won't get any real friends.  I could make more of an effort myself, too.

At work I am so young and inexperienced (how could I even be married already?).  At church I am so old without kids and working all the time.  It's a strange dynamic.  But this is a college town that is driven on academic achievement, and mormons are ... mormons.  :)  I cannot WAIT to start a family, but it just hasn't been our time yet.

I''m excited to have a baby someday and finally be "in the club."  I understand tho, that being a stay-at-home mom means more time to get out and do things with other moms.  All the project groups and recipe groups that I have gone to have been a blast.   So thanks to everyone.

I guess the real point is for myself to be the change.  

I need to be the one to make the effort.  I need to make the time to have girl time.  I need to call my friends from far away up and take the time to see them.  I may not have a lot of time available but girl time is worth it!!  Kids or not, it shouldn't matter.

4 comments:

  1. Totally understand this feeling! We have made very few friends which stuck after we got married. The friends that we do have we are terrible at keeping in contact with. Kids didn't make it any easier for me, I have worked at home since Matthew was born so in many ways I have still been tied to a job and a schedule. I am really hoping that once Chris settles into a job and we get to stay somewhere more than 2-3 years it will get easier... we will see. On another note, I am SO EXCITED for you two to be closer!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt this exact way when I was in the married student ward! I never did make much effort to make friends though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right, Lauren! It's totally what you make of it. It doesn't matter whether you work or don't, have kids or not, your life is what you make of it. When I moved to Pullman I could have easily kept to myself and just focused on what I had but I quite literally went to EVERYTHING I possibly could that first year, with a husband gone most of the time (even more now) it saved my life. I'm just now trying to make friends in my new city and ward and get involved because I was beginning to feel that I was losing it :) It's hard to make new friends, I was so spoiled in Pullman! Good luck and don't worry, life out of a college town will happen faster than you think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie, I CANNOT WAIT to live in Vancouver and be by you guys! You were great friends of ours! And kelli, you're right. And I want to start forcing myself to go to more things. It's for the greater good, lol. Even tho we have less than a year before we move. Oh well, I want to make the most of our time left here.

    ReplyDelete