Monday, July 8, 2013

Salmon Fishing

*Warning: Don't continue reading if you don't like blood

We went salmon fishing and it was a success!!  Yay!  (I honestly thought we wouldn't catch any)  Glen's gone fishing before but we have never been very serious about it and therefore, we have never caught anything.  I didn't have high hopes.  But this time we were successful!  We were on Klutina river, which is just a couple miles from the famous Copper River.  And we knew -almost- nothing about fishing when we left.

Is it weird that sometimes I feel like having low expectations about something makes it more enjoyable?  I feel like having too high of expectations is what makes us frustrated about events.

Glen was not happy because we only caught one fish in the first 4 hours and we were thinking it was time to go home.  When suddenly we started catching them.  And when I say "we" I mean Glen.  I was not able to catch one fish!  Bummer.  But surprisingly, I had a great time!

The best story of the day ended with both of us covered in blood splatters.  So.... after you catch a fish, you have to really smack it on the head to knock it out.  I thought that 1 or 2 hits on the head would do the trick. NOPE.  After loosing one fish that wiggled back into the water, we realized that you have to really wack them.  So after we caught our 2nd or 3rd fish, I wacked it a few times and thought I was good.  Then I saw it wiggle again.  So I gave it one more good hit... right on the gills.  This is not a good idea.  Blood splashed us all over our face and clothes.  :(  I didn't get a picture because we were in a rush to wash off.  It was pretty funny tho.  

Glen caught 6 fish, which is the limit that one person is allowed to catch.  Amazing!  I didn't catch any but my job was making lunch and dinner.  Plus, I was the allocated wacker.  Every time Glen caught one, he would pull it to shore and I would go at it.  I was pretty vicious.

First fish!!

We filleted a couple there but then decided to take them home to fillet.




Apparently you have to cut their gills so they bleed out.

Our loot!  



Ready to freeze.
We are SO excited to take these back to Pullman.  We had so much fun that we might try to go again before we leave.  We might need to buy another freezer.
YUM!!!

1 comment:

  1. Delicious! So glad your trip was successful! Alloted wacker is an important job!! Yea for AK!!!

    ReplyDelete